3.18.2016

Going Green!

 photo St_zpsjtcd9mse.jpg

Happy St. Patrick’s Day weekend!

Our household is going green(er)!
I’m starting this weekend and you can too! Ok, I know that even THINKING about “going green” can be overwhelming. There is SO much information out there and it’s almost impossible to go completely green…That’s not what I’m talking about here…And what is “going green” anyway!?
“Going green” means:

"To pursue knowledge and practices that can lead to more environmentally friendly and ecologically responsible decisions and lifestyles, which can help protect the environment and sustain its natural resources for current and future generations.

My goal with this post is to try and inspire each reader to make just one small change around their home. I know it sounds corny and you’ve heard it before, but it’s true….If we all just do one thing to reduce our impact on the environment, we CAN make a huge difference.

It doesn’t have to be something huge and if it IS huge you don’t have to do it all at once. The easiest and least invasive way to make your household greener is to start recycling if you don’t already. If you already recycle and want to lighten your environmental impact a little more, do some research and choose something that really resonates with you. Then, think about what small step you can take to help that effort. For example, say you want to conserve water. Start by fixing that leaky faucet in your kitchen!

That being said, my goal is kind of overwhelmingly huge…It’s reducing the amount of plastic in my household. According to majorwastedisposal.com, we throw away over 60 million plastic bottles a day. 6,000,000 A DAY! That’s insane!

I started recycling last year, so my first order of business to reduce plastics in my household is to stop using plastic bags at the store. We have so many plastic bags around the house...I ONLY use them to take my lunch to work a few times and then throw them away when they get holes. There is so much conflicting information about WHERE you are able to recycle plastic bags because they get caught up in the machines, so I’ve decided to just stop using them.

The biggest reason (no pun intended) I’ve decided to ditch plastic is because I read this article about whales. Basically, stray plastic bags and other plastics from barges (and who knows where else) make their way into the ocean. The whales mistake the bags and other plastics as a food source and they eventually die from ingesting so much man-made plastic crap. There are numerous accounts of this across the world of tons of plastic found in beached whales...It’s terrible! Anyway, it obviously really resonated with me and I decided that this weekend, I’m starting to use ONLY reusable bags at stores from now on.

What small step will you take this weekend to reduce your impact on the environment and create a greener household?

Until next time!

~Steph @ Calamity Layne

Now Playing: 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+