3.25.2016

Dig That Beat! Book Review

 photo Dig That Beat_zpsmmezco95.jpg
A woman after my own heart, Sheree Homer, transports you back in time one musician at a time in her latest book Dig That Beat! A diverse mix of music history and interviews with some of the best musicians of our time, Dig That Beat is unique peek into the captivating world of roots music.

As you know, dear reader, I have a slight (*cough) obsession with music history. I love learning about what inspired musicians and the stories behind how their songs were pieced together. The factors (such as the time period or instrumentation) that contributed to their performances and recordings fascinate me. Dig That Beat does not disappoint. I had a blast reading the anecdotes in this book! From Dale Hawkins to Rosie Flores, you can tell with each mini-biographical morsel that Sheree Homer has striven to protect and preserve the historical integrity of each musician and their art. I would strongly encourage anyone with curiosity about the roots of Rock N’ Roll to make Dig That Beat their next read.

The thing I appreciated most about this book is the fact that Sheree acquires and writes the story straight from the horse’s mouth. She does her research (it took her two and a half years to write this book) and really cares about the subject matter. When it comes to the interview portions, she writes purely and honestly in the interviewee’s own words and doesn’t infuse their stories with opinion or speculation. I really respected her honest approach at writing because I feel that I get a truer sense of the interviewees. Too many times I’ve read biographies full of fact-based opinion laced with strategically placed quotes from an interview or two and I always feel cheated in the end (I mean…there’s a reason why I strictly read autobiographies). This was definitely NOT the case with Dig That Beat.I was truly excited to see that this book was written with such veracity.

The one thing that is apparent while reading this book, Sheree Homer holds a high level of respect for roots music and the people who create it. When I asked her how it felt to be able to share the stories of so many amazingly talented artists she said,

“I feel very honored to be able to share their histories and to be able to give them the respect and recognition that they deserve. Being a musician is a tough road to haul, so it makes me happy to know that I am helping to promote their music. It's a lot of fun too to hear their stories. When the legendary acts talk about their careers, it feels like time traveling.”

Dig That Beat was published in May of last year and is available in paperback or as an ebook. You can find it on Amazon, as a special order from Barnes and Noble, or you can contact Sheree for an autographed copy by emailed here at: rockabillygal1978@hotmail.com

Until next time!
~Steph @ Calamity Layne

Now Playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+