9.25.2015

Easy (but Thrifty) Home Update

 photo 1_zpswn3gi8ax.jpg

Hello!

Are you looking for a thrifty way to add some curb appeal to your home? Try painting your front door! Nothing says "Welcome!" like a pop of color and some great accent pieces. Also, painting your front door is much easier (and faster) than resurfacing your entire house. SO....Here's a quick and thrifty way to add a little personality to the outside of your home!

Step 1 - Clean your Ugly Front Door 

 photo 2_zpsbm7lrkks.jpg

First of all, you will want to do this project when you are home alone OR no one needs to use the front door area to leave the house....I put the dogs out back and went to work. ;) Then, make sure to clean your door and prepare it for paint. As you can see...My front door started out a "lovely" dark brown... I just used Windex and some paper towels to clean it...waited a few minutes and then got started!

Step 2 - Grab the Essentials

 photo 3_zps2fexymgq.jpg

You will need:

  • Exterior paint (color of your choice)
  • Roller
  • Brush
  • Tray
  • Tape
  • Trash bags
  • Cleaning supplies

I got everything I needed at Home Depot for under $50.

Step 3 - Prepare Work Area 

 photo 4_zps30ymjioc.jpg

Tape off your door and work area. Once you start taping you will probably notice that you will not only need to paint the door, but also the door jam. Happy taping, my friends....Oh! I also cut up a trash bag and taped it to the floor inside and outside of my house to catch any drips from my roller or brush.

Step 4 - Paint!...and PAINT....and paint....

 photo 5_zpsevasqohw.jpg

Depending on what color your door was originally, you will need to slap on a few coats of paint. I painted my door about 5 times just to cover that gross brown color...Then I painted on a sixth coat just to be safe!

 photo mat_zpsfoo73lw6.jpg

Once your door is dry you can accessorize it with a wreath or....a vintage jello mold...if you wanna get fancy like me. ;) I was also lucky enough to find a $13 welcome mat at Target that MATCHED my door color (bonus!). Just accessorize with a few items that speak to you and feel 10 times better walking into your house after a long day of work.

Until next time!
~Steph @ Calamity Layne

Now Playing: 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+