Last week, I mentioned a corn salad that I made for our block party. Today, I'd like to bring you an adaptation of that recipe, with added protein (since protein is the #1 thing "sleevers," or weight-loss surgery patients, have to consider in their diet.
Protein is not a huge deal for vegetarians, but if you talk to a non-vegetarian, it boggles their minds (see my interview with Natalie of Bake & Destroy for confirmation on that). There are LOTS of sources of protein that are not meat! Imagine that!
So, here's a delicious cold corn salad, with lots of protein, and fake bacon! Although, I suppose if you're not vegetarian and love making huge splattery messes on your stove with bacon grease, you could use the regular kind...
adapted from this recipe
(perfect for potlucks and BBQ parties, or if you're like me, dinner in a bowl!)
Ingredients (main salad):
- 3 ears fresh sweet corn
- 1/2 of an onion, red or sweet
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 avocado, ripe
- fake bacon, about 2/3 of a package, frozen
- 1 pint cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon according to package directions. I made the whole box and just let my son and husband pick at the rest. Set aside to cool and get crispy. If you undercook the bacon, it will be chewy. Don't be afraid to crisp it up!
- Cut corn off of the cobs into a large (seriously, grab a big one) bowl. I like to cut corn off right in the bowl. It goes everywhere otherwise. Did you know that you can eat corn off of the cob raw? I didn't before this recipe. It's freaking delicious! (Side note: I suppose you could use frozen corn, thawed, once fresh corn is no longer available. Maybe cook that a little then?)
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Put into big bowl with cut corn.
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half. Put those in the big bowl, too.
- Dice up your avocado. Put them in the same big bowl. Does anyone else have trouble getting avocados that are just ripe? Mine always tend to be too firm, or too brown. Hmm.
- Whoops, forgot about the onion... No matter. Dice it up and chuck that into the bowl, too.
- I used a knife to chop/crush/crumble up the bacon. Seriously, I used like 2/3 of the package. Put that into the big bowl, too.
- Stir it all up.
For the dressing:
- Zest the outside of your lime into a separate med/small bowl. (I use one of these guys for steps 1 and 2. Totally worth the money!)
- Now, chop the lime in half and squeeze all of the juice out into that same bowl.
- Add olive oil and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Whisk it all up.
- Dump it into the big bowl with the salad. Stir it all up really well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
There are 2g of protein in every 2 strips of fake bacon. There are 42 grams of protein in a cup of black beans! A cup of avocado has 2.9g of protein, and corn has 16g of protein in a cup. That's pretty good for a salad!
Jen @ Hell Razor