8.06.2014

Jen's Big Adventure

My before photo

I'd like to invite all of you on my new adventure. I haven't seen any bloggers, like outfit/fashion bloggers, and certainly any of my favorite plus size bloggers approach this topic before, so I was kind of hesitant to talk about it on the blog... but it's going to come up eventually.

A couple of weeks ago, I had gastric sleeve surgery.

Gastric sleeve surgery is a form of bariatric surgery (like lap band or gastric bypass), except in this version of the surgery, a portion of your stomach is actually removed to make it smaller. Like, amputated. So it's not a reversible procedure. It's called a "sleeve" because the shape of your stomach after surgery is a long tube, or sleeve, like a banana.
Gastric Sleeve Diagram

Some people look down on bariatric procedures as "vanity" operations, like a plastic surgery, but I can assure you that it's not. Bariatric (weight loss) surgery was something that was recommended to me on the advice of my doctor, after months and moths of trial and error to lose weight via other methods.

In order to have surgery, you have to get clearance from your insurance (unless you intend to self-pay, which is a very expensive route, beyond the means of most people), and you will have to pass a screening from a team of doctors, including a nutritionist and a psychologist. You also have to have a whole battery of health-related tests and exams done to guarantee that you are a good candidate.

I have been on the path to surgery since the spring, but I chose not to talk about it until now, when it was all said and done.

The week before surgery is spent on a liquid protein diet, in preparation for surgery. Then, once surgery is complete, I have to slowly add foods back in, from clear liquid, to pureed, to soft, before finally leading up to a "regular" diet. I'm almost back to regular foods now, and I've lost almost 20 pounds so far. I don't intend to make the Betties N Brimstone blog a weight-loss blog. But it is a part of what I'm dealing with right now, so it's bound to come up, and you'll likely (hopefully!) begin to notice changes in my outfit posts. I don't want to hide what I'm going through, or mislead people into thinking that weight loss is as simple as "eating less and moving more." For some people, it actually is. But for many others, it is not, and it is ABSOLUTELY OK to get help from other sources, such as surgery.

I would be interested in doing a Q&A/FAQ for people who would like to know more about my experience. Feel free to email me with your questions, and I can tackle them in an upcoming post!

Rock On,
Jen @ Hell Razor
now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+