3.29.2014

Bananas for Vegan Muffins!

Vegan Banana Muffins on Betties N Brimstone Blog

book

So, what do you do when your bananas start to look like this? Invite a bunch of monkeys over? Freeze them to make banana ice cream? Or, do you make your favorite baked banana recipe? Mine comes from my cute friend Natalie Slater, who happened to write an amazing vegan cookbook (check the acknowledgments! I was a recipe tester!), called Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans.

Now, this recipe is actually a cupcake recipe, but to me, a cupcake without icing IS a muffin... so there you go. My goal was to make these for Gunnar (my 2 year old son), who really needs more fruit in his life and less cookies. I did make some slight changes to Natalie's original recipe (I know, I messed with perfection), but the changes worked for us.

ingredients

Ingredients!

1/2 cup of mashed overripe banana
1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 sugar (I used coconut sugar, as I heard it is better for you than cane, but the debate goes back and forth...)
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup soy milk (I used almond)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Smoosh!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then...

Mash up that banana with a fork! Get your aggression out! Then, take a bowl and mix up all of your dry ingredients and set aside.

mix it up

Get a bowl and mix up your wet ingredients and add to the mashed banana.
Now, mix up both of those (the wet and dry) together till incorporated.

bake me

I used a mini muffin pan, so that the muffins are just the right size for Gunnar to SMOOSH in his mouth. To get the batter easily into the little pans, I poured the batter into a liquid measuring cup. (The mixture is a little too thin to use the cookie scoop method.)

If you are making large muffins or cupcakes you would let them bake for 20-22 minutes in the oven. With these minis, 14 minutes was the magic number!

I have to say these were such a hit with Gunnar that I made another batch today!

In today's batch, I added a little PB2 for added flavor and a little protein. This is a great recipe as you can play a little with it to make it your own. I even thought I may add some oats next time to be even more filling for my pain-in-the-tush eater!

doughnuts

Speaking of "pains in the tush"... I took a little bit of the mix and used my doughnut pans to make some treats for Shane as well. They came out pretty cute. I just used a little agave as a glaze.

So that is this week's recipe. We are really trying to cut down on sugars and sweets here, but its been a struggle. Natalie's book has been a great help. Seriously, check it out...word on the street is that she is making a second book! (...and I'm already plotting a way to get mentioned in that one as well!)

Stay Sweet,
Lisa
now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+