6.10.2013

DIY Blueberry Soda!

Betties N Brimstone: DIY Blueberry Soda

Since school is finally out for summer (yes, I've been off already due to my elbow, but there's something mentally freeing and less stressful when you know it's actually out for real), I've been having fun trying out new recipes and gadgets I've been eyeballing for a while.  One of these things is making my own soda syrup!

I've owned a Sodastream for a while now (maybe a couple of years? Here's why I originally bought one), and I love that I can make my own carbonated water whenever I want!  It's pretty refreshing in the summer when you want something bubbly - I just add a lemon or lime wedge, and that's it!  When I originally ordered my Sodastream machine (if you're wondering, I own this model), I also bought some of their soda syrups to try out.  While they were tasty, a bunch of it ended up expiring before I could use it all.

Betties N Brimstone: DIY Blueberry Soda

I was pretty excited to spot this book, Make Your Own Soda: Syrup Recipes for All-Natural Pop, Floats, Cocktails, and More, by Anton Nocito, on Amazon and was intrigued that I could make my own syrup in a bunch of different fun flavors (and in smaller batches that I would actually use up!).  It made me excited to use my Sodastream again, too!

It's important to note that you don't need to have a Sodastream/carbonating device in order to make your own soda.  You can buy bottled seltzer water at the store and add your own syrups, so if you're just starting out, that may be the way to go.  I hate when my water gets flat, so I love the convenience of making my water bubbly right before I drink it!

I chose to make blueberry syrup as my first DIY soda endeavor.  The recipe was fairly basic - I took 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and heated them all up in a saucepan (stirring frequently) until the berries burst and everything combined together.  Then it had to sit in the refrigerator overnight.  Waiting is hard.

The next day, I ran the mixture through a fine mesh strainer (I used one that I have for rinsing Quinoa, it's like a mesh screen), to get any blueberry chunks out!  Ta da - blueberry syrup!

Betties N Brimstone: DIY Blueberry Soda

Then I was finally ready to make my blueberry soda!  Three tablespoons of syrup are poured into a glass of ice (I added some blueberries to garnish!), and your carbonated water is poured on top.  Give it all a stir to combine, and you're good to go!  Yum!

Rock on,
Jen @ Hell Razor

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+