2.25.2013

My Favorite Stress Relief

I am filled with stress and anxiety.  It's something I am constantly working on, and trying to increase my awareness of, and attempting to conquer via various assorted coping skills and mechanisms.  I've also come to the conclusion that this MAKES ME TOTALLY NORMAL and very much like most other people.

I'd like to share one of my favorite stress-relieving activity to distract my brain: podcasts!  I know podcasts have been around for a while, but I never never ever listened to them because I always figured "I'll just watch tv!" instead.  But I have found that podcasts do not = tv without pictures.  

Podcasts are good for:
  • Driving in the car, especially if you have a long(er) or frustrating commute in traffic.  It keeps my brain from blowing up with road rage.
  • Spending 5 minutes in the car before going into work, or any situation where you show up early and don't want to walk in right away.
  • Eating lunch in your car and not feeling sad and lonely.  Podcasts distract me from all the drama and frustrations that happened that morning at work.
Now I will share with you my two favorite podcast recommendations:


1. The Nerdist Podcast.  This is an extremely popular and well-known podcast, so I'm guessing that most of you don't need me to provide a huge explanation... but it's hosted by Chris Hardwick, Jonah Ray, and Matt Mira.  Sometimes they podcast with just the three of them, but usually they have a celebrity guest.  Yes, it's funny, but my favorite thing about this podcast is when serious conversations happen about human nature and the discovery of self - sometimes in relation to the comedy or entertainment business, but more often in terms that the everyday person can very much relate to.  I also enjoy the frank discussions relating to anxiety and stress and normal life and how we are bombarded with information in the modern age and how we as humans can (or can't) deal with it.

So maybe not what the average listener looks for in this podcast, but I love it!  Some of my very favorite guests include Dave Grohl, John Hodgman, Henry Rollins, and Tom Morello.  Check it out on iTunes here.


2. The Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin.  I first heard of this podcast via the Nerdist podcast when Paul Gilmartin was a guest on the show.  Paul talks to guests (some famous, some not) and has honest conversations about all different kinds of mental illness, from mild depression and negative thoughts to guests who have checked themselves into a hospital for long periods of time and tried to kill themselves.  I find it fascinating to discover trends and cause/effects in their different stories, and to hear about families and upbringing and find out that we all have some of these issues in common!  And it's inspirational to hear about the journeys and begin to see that we'll all be okay in the end, no matter how bad it can get sometimes.

Paul Gilmartin is not a licensed therapist, so he won't give out medical advice or things of that sort.  It's just nice to hear people talk about some mental issues that are kind of "taboo" in many of my real-life circles and have it addressed in a very honest and upfront kind of way.  Find The Mental Illness Happy Hour on iTunes here.

Do you have any favorite podcasts?  I'm always looking for something new, so please share!

Rock on,
Jen @ Hell Razor

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...