1.28.2013

Vintage Dress for the Derby

dress - vintage / cardigan - Torrid / tights - we love colors / shoes - old (sears?) / belt - Torrid / flower pin - hell razor

So I decided that I needed to find a "cool" outfit to wear to the roller derby while I was vending, and this vintage 80's heart print dress was the perfect thing!  Stephanie actually found it at our last thrifting trip and sent it my way.  I know it was less than $5 (how awesome!).  But it was a lot longer (well, Im short, so everything tends to be "longer" on me).  I used my very minimal sewing skills to shorten the hem - so proud of myself!  I think I took off something like seven inches of length!

Okay, to be honest, I ended up making it a little bit too short.  I left myself an inch for hem allowance, but I think I used a little more.  No matter - I always wear shorts under my dresses when I wear tights because I always end up having to sit on the floor or climb up something, so wearing shorts is like an insurance policy from embarrassment.



I absolutely love the heart print on this dress!  It has an elastic waist, so I put on my bow belt from Torrid (it used to have a tulle layer on the bow, but I pulled it off) to cover the elastic.  I like a red/black/white combination, so the red sweater seemed natural.  I decided to go a little out of my comfort zone with the teal tights though, and I'm really glad that I did!

Plus, it gave me the opportunity to wear my Hell Razor blue and pink sugar skull combination hair clip/pin as a fun corsage on my sweater.



This was also the first time I wore "regular" shoes out in a very long time!  These shoes are a favorite pair of mine, because they're comfy but also give my legs the same effect as wearing heels.  I think I bought them at Sears at least three years ago.  I bought a similar pair about a year and a half ago with the intent of replacing this pair, but they just weren't the same, so I ended up keeping these.  The sole is peeling away at the bottom, although you can't tell from this pic!



This day's hair turned out pretty well.  I even clipped in my blue streaks (see above left) just for fun that night.  I've been thinking of buying some other clip-in pieces in assorted colors to mix with my purple streak, too.  Like red-violet or pink or turquoise?



Oh no!  My cat eye liner is a little bit off - can you tell?  Oh well.  The shadow turned out nice!  It's a yellow shadow from MAC and the turquoise shadow ("Too Dolly") from the Hello Kitty MAC shadow palette of the same name.  Have I mentioned how much I loved the Hello Kitty for MAC line?  I even wore the lipstick today, too (it's called "Big Bow" and it's a beautiful bright pink!).  It's getting so low now, I don't know what I'll do when its all gone!

Sad trombone.



Rock on,
Jen @ Hell Razor.
now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...