11.21.2012

Weight Watchers Drop-Out



So... I've made a big life decision in the last two weeks.  I've decided to full-on quit Weight Watchers.  This was like the fourth time I've been a member.  Twice I've lot some major weight on this program, so I want to start by saying that if you're looking for a good weight-loss program, this may be it for you!  It really teaches you WHAT to eat, and how much to eat, and making good choices and how to keep track of it all.

But I've come to a minor realization that those kinds of things - the knowledge of what to eat - are NOT what my problem is.  I mean, it may have been in the past, which is why it worked for me in the past.  But Weight Watchers now had become a chore for me.  I'd been skipping meetings... something would always "come up" and I couldn't/wouldn't go.  I didn't track my food.  What was I paying this money for?

But it's not what I need right now.  My weight issues are all mental.  Even when I know what I "should" eat, many times I actively choose not to do it.  I rebel against myself.  I'm obviously reverting to some really old coping strategies for something in the form of eating.

Although my outside physical self needs work, my inside mental self needed work too.  I've been focusing on that part for a while now, and I think it may just be that this is the key to bringing the physical self back in line.

Weight Watchers had become like a bad marriage, and I needed to get out.  I couldn't stay and keep throwing my money away and hoping that I'd magically begin evaporating weight form my body simply because my credit card was automatically charged each month.  I had to actually DO something.

Part one is that we (Todd and Iggy and I) joined our local YMCA.  The price I pay for a monthly family membership is only a little bit more than what I paid monthly for my Weight Watchers membership.  They offer free child care while we use the facilities.  The machines each have their own cable tv!  They have group classes, which is something that I actually used to enjoy doing.  Believe me, I am NOT an exercise fan, but I remember a time where I used to like some of that sort of stuff.  I'd like to go back and try to find that again.

The food stuff will come later.  I hate the idea of depriving myself of things that I love.  I hate going to a restaurant and having to order a "salad" when everyone else is having burgers and fries.  I'd rather make small, meaningful changes that I know I can keep up with.

I'll admit, quitting Weight Watchers scared the crap out of me.  I'm not sure what's gonna happen.  But stick around and I'll tell you all about it!

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+