7.12.2012

what's NOT important.

Facebook Screenshot

I don't think it's a secret (if it was, sorry, now it's not!) that I hate Facebook.  I hate it, but I can't delete my account (which is what I really think I'd like to do) because last I checked, I had to have a personal account in order to have a "page" for Hellrazor.  Although now even that seems moot, since my pageviews have gone suspiciously down since Facebook did some "changes" or whatever.  I don't even know.  I don't trust them, that's for sure, and a whole bunch of other pages have posted a bunch of different stories (I refuse to just copy/paste status updates without knowing what's really true, so I end up ignoring a bunch of stuff) trying to explain what's going on.  But I'm on a tangent here, that's just one issue.  I don't even care that much about this part.

What I'm talking about is Facebook personal pages.  I have one (I actually share one account with my husband, we decided on this atypical approach together when we created the account - it eliminates the weirdness of who's friends with who and whatnot - we have no secrets!) and I didn't realize how I had become like a robot with it.  I'd have a free couple of minutes as I listened for the baby to go down for his nap, and I'd check the news feed.  I'd be waiting for dinner, I'd check the news feed.  Long line at the post office?  Yep, you guessed it, news feed.

What a waste of time.  And energy.  Mental space.  Stress.

I began to HATE seeing certain kinds of posts.  You've all seen them before.  Passive aggressive, attention-seeking vague posts from someone about how "life sucks," or "having a bad day," just to get someone to comment back "why?" and start up a big faux-sympathetic conversation.  Ugh.  Another guy plays those stupid online games and keeps sending you requests.  Ugh.  Someone else thinks that if we all just "copy and paste this post if you agree"  we'll cure cancer!  Or raise awareness of... underwear holes. Or dinosaur attacks.  Or insert-trendy-cause-here.  Whatever.

...And let's not forget the far-flung relative you never actually see, but "have" to accept as a friend, because they're technically family and you don't want to bring on any weirdness, but all they do is post crazy-ass propaganda about why Obama is a secret terrorist and the worst guy ever and he's "ruining the country!"  Sigh.  I hate this crap.  Unsubscribe?  Yes.

When I get really mad I end up actually posting something on Facebook about it.  And Todd always rolls his eyes at me like, "Oh what'd you do this time to tick people off?"  And you know what?

He's right.

I don't know why I let it get to me.  It's Facebook.  It's like trying to fight with a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.  There's no actual reasoning or logic.  There's no smart to be had.

Then even little stuff gets to me.  When I was trying to breast-feed Iggy and failing horribly at it (that's a story for another time though), a co-worker innocently posted about how much she was pumping, and how she could feed twins if she had to, she had so much milk!  I BURST INTO TEARS.  Sure, it was an innocent (albeit kinda TMI weird, even for Facebook) comment, but you really don't know what your audience is going to be into when you post stuff like this!

Lately it's posts about how people's babies are sleeping through the night... well you know what?  Mine is NOT.  Thanks for making me feel like crap though.  I thought I was doing pretty well with just one wake up, but apparently, Facebook, that wasn't good enough.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the "I have the best husband/wife EVARRR!" post.  Really?  And you had to broadcast it on Facebook?  How about just turning around and telling them to their face?  And why do you need to say happy birthday to your little kid or mom or grandmother who isn't even on Facebook as a status update?  They'll never see it!  But somehow you're a better person for it, right?  Grrr...

Ok.  I could go on and on forever with this topic.  Each day I find something new to bother me about it.

Until now.

Todd, the genius that he is (did I also mention that he is THE BEST HUSBAND EVARRR?!) brought up a really good point.  Stop looking at it.  I may not be able to just delete the account (due to the Hellrazor page, and his stuff), but I don't have to look at it.

I'm two days down so far.  And life has been so much better.  I haven't missed any life-shattering announcements (as far as I know, but hey, ignorance is bliss!), and I also haven't closed up my phone or computer wanting to punch myself in the face.  Let's see how long this lasts.

Are you with me?

now playing:
Givin Up by The Darkness on Grooveshark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+