7.06.2012

Food: Bowls of Stuff

Thursday morning is my regular Weight Watchers meeting (at least for the summertime - once school starts, I'll have to find another time).  This week, I was up .4 pounds.  Why am I sharing this with you? Well, because this past week, I didn't do a very good job of tracking what I ate (a Weight Watchers necessity).  I was angry because at my meeting the week prior, I was told that I had lost .6 pounds over a two-week period where I was VERY careful about what I ate.  It seemed like such a small amount.

So when I went to go weigh in this week, I noticed that my weight record looked funny.  Well, something had happened with the computer (my regular leader wasn't there that day) and I had somehow gotten another member's sticker attached to my record instead of mine!  The other member had lost .6 pounds.  I consulted my leader and found out that I had actually lost just over 3 pounds!  Oh geez.

So, it turns out that my behaviors over those two weeks had indeed been a good thing and I had lost a decent amount. (The recommendation is between 1-2 pounds a week.  That's the healthy way to do it.)

I thought I'd share with you some of my food strategies for lunches.  This would also work for dinner if you're just cooking for yourself.  Even if you're not on Weight Watchers, this is a healthy way to eat!

bowl of stuff 1

I like to create and eat bowls of "stuff."  Natalie Slater of Bake & Destroy makes similar bowls of mixed up stuff and has dubbed them by that name.  This dish above is concocted from a 1 pound bag of "california mix" veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots), brown rice, light feta cheese, and a fake chicken patty.  I microwave the veggies in a big bowl, and drain any liquid.  I also microwaved (separately) a cup of brown rice and a fake chicken patty.  Diced up the chicken and then dumped it into the bowl with the rice and veggies, then added about 1 oz of crumbled up light feta cheese.


Most of my lunches are made in a similar manner.  Here's one that I made (below) consisting of diced tempeh, 1 pound frozen veggies (snap pea stir fry mix), and some goat cheese.

bowl of stuff 2

The general ratios and ingredients are the same.  I typically start with 12-16 oz. of veggies (usually frozen, it's just easier for me that way).  Then I add some kind of protein.  I'm a vegetarian (pescetarian, to be exact - see my about page for more details), so it usually consists of a diced up fake chicken patty/chicken nuggets, some marinated tofu, tempeh, or even chickpeas or some other beans.  I've also used faux breakfast sausages, cut up, or a Boca Burger patty.  Then I add some cheese for flavor.  I'm partial to goat cheese, so I usually go with goat cheese or light feta, but I've also used those laughing cow wedges.  Laughing cow melts up and makes a creamy sauce for veggies - it's pretty good.

If I'm feeling especially hungry (or I have extra calories to eat that day), I can toss in a cup of brown rice or maybe a half of an avocado.  In any case, even without the extras, I get a huge amount of food (I'm a quantity girl... sigh...) and it fills me up pretty good until dinnertime.

This lunch is easy enough to package up and take to work (I'd just carry the cheese separate and add it after I'd microwaved the rest), so I plan to use this recipe/ratio for lunches even after school starts.

Todd hates when people take photos of their food.  He says it makes the food look unappetizing.  I think it's awesome.  How do you feel?

now playing:
Headlong Flight by Rush on Grooveshark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+