7.06.2011

I'm Nesting.

Oh, yeah, it's Wardrobe Wednesday, but I don't have any photos to show you in the wardrobe department... there are some issues I'll be sharing soon regarding that...  In the meantime, enjoy these photos of my latest work in progress: the back porch!

porch wide shot

We were very lucky to purchase a house that has a cute little screened-in back porch.  Unfortunately, it was a mess.  Horrible peeling paint, gaps in the screens that let in bugs, old carpeting that Motor tore up last winter (he was mad I wouldn't let him run around outside while I was snow-blowing!), and a lot of dirt.  The photos here don't even show the original state.  Here, most of the gaps have been fixed, the peeling paint has been scraped and sanded, and the carpet has been ripped up to reveal the concrete underneath.  Let me walk you through a bit of the process and plans...

porch shot 2

This photo above shows you the ceiling after Todd surprised me one day with scraping and sanding ALL of it!  Then, he primed the whole ceiling and border.  I'm not sure what to call this foot tall wooden border-like section around the porch, so I'll just call it a border.  In any case, it was also peeling and nasty, so he scraped, sanded, and primed this, too.  What a guy.  The purpleish/gray color you see is what I painted over the primer.  I know I did the edges messy - lay off, ok? - it's a work in progress and it's going to be covered up with new crown molding soon!

Oh yeah, those little hanging votive candle baskets are something I added last year.  They're super pretty when you light them at night.  I'm pretty sure they came from Crate and Barrel and were a wedding present.  We added some varying lengths of chain and used tiny cup hooks to hang them from the wood trim around the porch.

porch paint close-up

Ah, there's a close-up of the paint color.  I like cool colors like purples, blues, and grays, so you'll see them in my house quite a bit.  However, I'm working with an orange brick here, you see?  So I have to work out a compromise that makes it all work together.  Trust me, I'm an art teacher.  It's gonna look awesome.  Sneak a peek at some purchases and colors below:

porch supplies

These are some of the things I've purchased and that are in progress for the back porch.  In the foreground are faux metal ceiling tiles in antique copper finish that I special ordered.  They will be installed on the ceiling with adhesive.  They're super lightweight plastic and can be cut with scissors!  Also, they look beautiful with the orange brick of the house and the purple paint colors that I like!

Behind the ceiling tile is a deep blue outdoor/indoor carpeting for the porch that will spread wall-to-wall over the concrete.  (It's not that plastic scratchy stuff.  It's soft and feels good on your bare feet.  It's great for our porch since we don't really have any exposure to weather like rain or snow due to the positioning of the porch and the screens on two sides.)

In the background, you can see the bottom of our back door.  It's not done yet, but it's a preview of the color.  It's a good solid wood door, but the stain and varnish were uneven and weathered over many years of existence.  I gave it a light sanding, primed it, and am now in the process of giving it 2-3 coats of awesome warm purplish brown paint.  It complements both the purple border and the warm color of the bricks on our house.

In the last two days Todd and I have actually completed most of these plans, but we're not quite finished yet, so I'm saving the grand finale for another post.  I'll be sure to give you a cute little photo tour then, but I can reveal that that I have a theme not only of color, but of circles!  (Don't worry, I'm not even close to being a matchy-matchy girl.  I hate those bedroom sets where the comforter matches the rug that matches the curtains that match the throw pillows, and so on, and so on.)  This is gonna be cool.

(P.S. Yes, I know I've been all new wave and electronic and not so much heavy metal lately.  I like new wave and electronic, too.  So suck it.)

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+