7.12.2011

Baby Birds Update!

In an earlier post, I told you about the robin family that decided to make a nest in our backyard, and I even had a photo of the nest with four bright blue eggs.  Here's an update on the babies!

baby robins 1

Todd has been taking a photo of the nest each day with his iPhone.  Surprisingly, the momma bird has NOT gotten angry and tried to dive-bomb him, which is what I thought would happen!  Instead, she flies to the fence, watches carefully, and sometimes chirps at us.  But we never touch them, we just like to see what's going on.

In the above photo collage, you can see the progression of three eggs hatching over the course of three days.  Sadly, the fourth egg never hatched.  But we eagerly watched the three babies in the nest each day until July 3rd.  On that day, we arrived home from a party at my mom's and discovered one of the babies on the ground.  It was too late.  I cried and cried.  I don't know how it happened, or why, but I kept thinking of how sad it would be for that robin to only have half of your babies survive!

Below are two photos of the remaining two birds as they're growing bigger in the nest.  It's really funny to watch the mom land on the edge of the nest to feed the babies, and the two baby bird heads sticking up and wiggling around to get food.  Soon, they'll be big enough to fly away, and I'll be sad again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+