6.05.2011

Sound of Sunday: Amon Amarth

amon amarth

If you're a regular reader at the Hell Razor blog, I sincerely apologize for being missing a while.  I realize I completely missed this week's "Wardrobe Wednesday" as well as several other day's posts.  I have some personal issues going on right now (not necessarily bad things, mind you!) and I hope to have some exciting news to share soon... but you'll have to be patient with me.

In the meantime, here's the album of the week, brought to you on a Sunday instead of my usual Saturday.  It's Amon Amarth's new album, Surtur Rising.  My favorite thing about Amon Amarth is that the sound reminds me so much of Dethklok from the cartoon Metalocalypse.  Only Amon Amarth is a REAL serious band.  Vocalist Johan Hegg = Nathan Explosion, only Swedish.  According to my research, Amon Amarth is officially classified as "Viking Metal."  I just think it's good.

I put this album on in my classroom on Friday afternoon after all the kids had left for the summer and I still had to pack up my room (in fact, I still have to go next week for a day or two) but it helped keep my energy up when I had to get work done.  And it's something I wouldn't normally play in my classroom around students, so it was nice to be able to listen to "my" music for a while!

Highlighted awesome songs include: War of the Gods, Destroyer of the Universe, Slaves of Fear, and the bonus track cover of Aerials.  Here's a funny story: I absolutely hate the band System of a Down.  It all stems from that dude's voice.  Hate it.  So I'm trying to do a write-up of this album, and I ask Todd, "Which track on the Amon Amarth album has a line that goes something like 'aerials, in the sky...'?" and he tells me that it's NOT Amon Amarth, but System of a Down.  I'm all "No way, not possible," since I don't even listen to that band.  So I start skipping through the tracks on the iPod, trying to find it.  Turns out that it is a COVER of a System of a Down song, and of course I'd like it, since that guy's voice is no longer on it!  Ha!  Also turns out that the bonus track is not listed online, so I didn't see it until I replayed it on the iPod.

So, what bands do you HATE?  Specifically, I'm talking about bands people expect that you would like, but you absolutely CANNOT stand...?

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+