5.01.2011

Makeup Case, Part 1

Thanks mostly to my friend Jen, I really like makeup.  I never used to wear much until I met her, but she set me up with an appointment at the MAC counter one Saturday afternoon, and they did my makeup, complete with false eyelashes.  I was hooked.  I get questions from people I meet in real life all the time about what products I use, what colors I have, or how I get liquid liner straight.  I've decided to do a series of posts regarding my makeup collection.  I am NOT a makeup artist.  I just know what I like, and what works for me.

Because my collection is pretty considerable in size, I'm going to split up the discussion into several posts.  Today's post is about lipstick.  My collection grew to be too large to be housed in my main makeup case, so I've migrated into a pencil case:


It doesn't look so big when it's all crammed in the case.  Here it is all spread out:


I'm actually not a huge "lipstick" person.  I put it on in the morning and forget to reapply.  I love how it looks, though.  One of my favorites lately are these tinted Tokidoki Lip Balms from Sephora:


Both colors are really great, and I think you'd be surprised to see how the dark purple one (called "Skeletrina") looks.  Not really purple at all.  More of a red-violet sheer color.  I really like it.  The pink shade is called "Pink Martini."

One of my favorite all-around colors is this Tarina Tarantino for Sephora lipcolor.  It's called "Candy Jar."


For fancier dress-up occasions, I will go for more dramatic colors, like reds or more opaque shades of pink/magenta/red-violets.  You must use a lipliner for these first so the color looks even and defined.  My favorite lipliner is Stila glaze lip liner in plum, because it's close to my natural lip color.  Then I can use it with any lip shade.  I hate the look of outlined lips when you can see the contrast...  Unfortunately, Stila does not make this lipliner anymore!  When I run out, I'll have to try something else... sad!


Good night-out-on-the-town lipstick includes this NARS lipstick in "Funny Face." I spent months looking for the perfect red-violet shade, and this one is it!  The other lipstick shown below is Urban Decay in "Confession."  It looks a lot darker than it is, but it's still a color that is not for the faint of heart!  The packaging on this tube was what really sold me, though.  A sword in the tube handle?  Yes, please!


And now, for the REDS.  My favorite red is Kat Von D's Painted Love lipstick in "Adora."  It always looks good and isn't cakey.  Has a nice subtle transparency to it.  The one in the middle is an old standby from my "I don't really wear makeup" days.  It's Clinique's Different lipstick in "Angel Red."  And on the end is a shade chosen for me by my friend Jen - it's part of Lancome's Juicy Wear collection called "Candy Apple."  You apply the lip shade, and then put the clear top coat on afterwards.  Yeah, it's kind of a lot of work, but the color is great.  I think of it as fancy date night lipstick because you have to keep it in your purse and reapply it in the ladies room after dinner is over.


Some of my favorite lipsticks are my MAC shades.  I own "Big Bow" glaze from the Hello Kitty collection, and you can see how worn down it is.  It's because I LOVE it.  It's a sheer hot pink with a slight sparkliness to it.  It looks good with everything.  And I don't know what I'll do when it's gone!  Next to Hello Kitty is MAC Cremesheen in "Go For It," which is super fancy in the tube because it's PURPLE.  I have to admit that it is harder to wear than most of the colors I own.  I always look a little more goth when I go out the door in this one.  Two of my other favorite glosses, MAC Dazzleglass in "Funtabulous," and MAC Lipglass in "Atmospheric" are also pictured below.


Although technically not lipstick, Lipsmacker is a staple of my makeup collection.  I keep tubes of this lipgloss in my work bag, my purse, my desk at work, and in my makeup cases.  You never know when you might need one.  Imagine my delight when my friend Stephanie pulled out a gigantic glue-stick sized tube of Lipsmackers the other night!  I immediately demanded to know where she purchased it.  It was from Target, so the next day I was there to acquire a giant strawberry version.  In the photo below, I placed a standard-sized Lipsmacker next to the new huge one to show the size comparison.  Amazing, right?


How about you?  What's your favorite lip color?  Favorite brand?  And lastly, favorite Lipsmacker flavor?

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+