4.02.2011

Sound of Saturday: Volbeat


Last weekend, Todd and I went to go see The Damned Things, but Volbeat was actually the headliner of the show.  Until their set started, we had never heard their music.  We were, however, so impressed with what we did hear that Todd went out and bought the album the next day.  We've been listening to it non-stop all week during spring break.  Volbeat is a band from Denmark, and Beyond Hell/Above Heaven is their fourth album.The best description of the music came from Scott Ian of The Damned Things, who told me that if I liked the Misfits, Social Distortion, and Metallica, then I would like Volbeat.  One of the first things I noticed upon listening is that the lead singer of Volbeat, Michael Poulsen, pronounces words just like James Hetfield does.

The crowd at the House of Blues Chicago was going nuts for this band, and the energy was really infectious.  The songs are very anthemic and catchy.  The song, "A Warrior's Call" would be a great example.  The crowd was yelling the lyrics back at the band during the show!  The songs stay in my head, but in a good way.  In a weird "six-degrees of separation" type of twist, the song "7 Shots" features Michael Denner of Mercyful Fate / King Diamond, which was last week's Sound of Saturday post!

On another related note, Todd and I we were delighted to discover that on their newest update, the iPhone app ToonPaint has a "Volbeat me" function that colors your photo just like the Volbeat album covers!  Awesome.  Here's a screenshot from my phone:



BTW, that's a photo of @carrionrun in her Hell Razor hairclip and necklace, all ready to go out for her birthday celebration - 26 years on her way to hell!  Happy Birthday!

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+