4.22.2011

Sound of Saturday: 69 Eyes


This week I've chosen the 69 Eyes latest album, Back in Blood, as the "Sound of Saturday" focus.  It's the band's tenth studio album, and was released in the summer of 2009.  Todd first introduced me to the 69 Eyes with their album, Devils.  Their next album, coincidentally, was called Angels.  We saw them in concert at the House of Blues Chicago back in February 2007 with Cradle of Filth.  It was a Superbowl Sunday - oddly enough, the one where the Chicago Bears were playing!  Instead of watching the game, we were at the House of Blues at a metal show...!

As far as heavy metal goes, I'd describe this band as more gothic/glam rock.  If you like Motley Crue, you may enjoy 69 Eyes.  If you're into more dark/black metal, they may not be for you.  I enjoy a pretty wide variety of metal, and I really like the 69 eyes.  This particular album has a whole "vampire" type of feel to it, which made me leery at first, seeing as it coincided in timing with the whole Twilight-craze.  But the album really turned me around.  Good examples of songs in the vampire theme would be: "Back in Blood," "Kiss Me Undead," "We Own the Night," and "Lips of Blood."

Dislaimer: I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've alluded to a distaste for the whole Twilight franchise on the Hell Razor blog, but I have to admit that I've never actually seen or read it, so I fully admit that I'm unfairly being biased.  As a big-time fan of Anne Rice vampire novels, I get kinda territorial over someone else trying to tread on the subject.  That's all.

p.s. It's not Saturday today.  It's Friday.  But I have the day off so it feels like one.  Therefore, "Sound of Saturday."

now playing:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+