3.05.2011

Sound of Saturday: A Day to Remember


I have a really "old" first-gen iPod touch.  I got it for free when I purchased my Mac Book way back several years ago.  It's still alive and kicking, so I don't see any reason to get rid of it.  I'm also one of those weird people that use my iPod for music, and my phone as a phone.  I mean, I have an iPhone, but I don't keep music on it.  I just can't get over the weird mental "phone vs music player" thing and for some reason I think I need to keep them separate.  Don't ask me why, because I can't even give you a good rational reason for it.  One day I'm sure I'll join the rest of the world and keep it together, but for now I'll stay a weirdo.

So, back on topic here.  I have to delete music off of my iPod in order to put new music on it.  It's too full right now.  The latest album I had to make room for was A Day To Remember's "What Separates Me From You."  Todd is usually the first one to find new music, and after hearing an album several times, I'll ask him "Who is that?" and he'll say "It's (insert band here)."  Then I say, "Oh, I like this album," after which he'll point out that he's been playing it for about a month already.

The reverse also happens when I think I'm all smart and say "Hey Todd, did you know that the new (insert band name here) album is out?" - thinking I'm going to "scoop" him, and he'll tell me that we've owned it for several weeks already.  Oh.

So, the lesson here is that I never claim to be the FIRST to know about a band, or that I'm telling you about something new.  All I claim is to share something that's new to me that I like.  Maybe you've heard of them, but haven't really listened yet.  Or, maybe I actually did tell you first.  If so, awesome.

The album opens up really really heavy with "Sticks & Bricks," but it gets more melodic in the vocals as the song and rest of the album go on.  I like both the gutteral singing and melodic styles.  I really like track seven on this album, called "All signs point to Lauderdale."  It's a good one to crank up in the car after a long day at work and you're mad or stressed out and need to chill.  Don't listen to it around children since it has a prominent F-bomb, but otherwise it's one of my favorites because it's very cathartic to listen to, and still pretty happy overall.  The other favorite is "All I Want," which has a cameo in the music video by Andrew W.K. - whoa, how could you NOT like that?

So, that's my "Sound of Saturday" recommendation for your iPod.  Hopefully your iPod is newer than mine and you don't have to delete another album in order to make room for it.  But if you do, I can assure you it'll be well worth it.


Last week, I talked about The Damned Things and lamented the cost of high ticket prices.  Well, I went ahead and coughed up money for a couple tickets for Todd and I on March 27th at the House of Blues Chicago.  It'll be a great way to kick off our spring break this year.  Will you be going?  See you there!

now playing:
All I Want - A Day To Remember
What Separates Me From You

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+