2.28.2011

weekend shopping trip.


This weekend I went on a little shopping trip by myself to the Old Orchard Mall in Skokie.  I used to go there about once a month with my friend Jen, who has since moved to San Francisco.  It made me miss her.  I visited a bunch of our favorite stores (mostly Sephora and the Mac counter at Macy's) and I found a few tiny new treasures.  The first is this week's nail polish.  It's called "Break a Leg-Warmer!" and is by OPI for Sephora from their Urban Ballerina collection.  While I was there, I also found a sweet light yellow shade on clearance for only $5, called "IM Beauty".  Maybe I'll try out this yellow next week...



I really like the combination of yellow and grey.  I have a dress in this color combination, and then I realized that my Bumblebee Puffy Heart Necklace is also yellow and grey.  Maybe I was subconsciously channeling the color combo of my dress when I made it?  Then I found a Yellow Dot Skully Hair Bow in the same colors that would go perfect with the necklace and the nail polish.  The best part?  This bow is on sale for $5!  I love his little asymmetrical eyes.  He's really cute.


While I was at Sephora, I also purchased a Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stain.  This one is "Pink Martini," the hot pink color.  I love that it's a lip balm with a little bit of color.  As much as I love lipstick, I usually put it on in the morning and then forget about it.  I'm not exactly a reapply-er, unless I'm on a fancy date or at a wedding where I'll stop to primp in the ladies room.  But I do love to keep a tube of lip balm, like Lip Smackers, on hand.  I have one in my purse, one in my makeup drawer, one in my desk drawer at work... you get the idea.  

So, this lip balm stain is perfect for me because it's sheer - I don't need a mirror to reapply, I get the look of a sheer lipstick, and it keeps my lips moisturized.  The best of both worlds!  I paired my new Tokidoki lip balm with a Large Pink and Yellow Skull Hair Clip and Brooch since the color schemes were so similar.  I think they make a lovely pair.


My last purchase of the day was from a quick stop at Anthropologie.  I do love that store.  The displays are always full of creative ideas, and the clothing is fantastic.  I spent a lot of time examining some of the cotton dresses for spring in really amazing patterns.  They had a retro look to them that I really enjoyed.  Unfortunately, I don't really have the wallet resources to actually shop seriously, nor am I quite in the required size bracket to wear most of the items that they sell.  I mostly drool over things I wish I could have... but it makes for great window shopping.  I did find one item I could not leave the store without, and it's this tiny chair bottle opener!  I love the curved, antique lines and shape of the mini chair, and thought it would look really nice on a countertop or shelf alongside other decorative items, but with the added bonus of functionality as a bottle opener.  I photographed the opener with a pair of Hell Razor Skull Safety Pin Earrings, which have a similar old-timey charm about them.

Where are your favorite places to shop?

now playing:
Red Barchetta - Rush
Moving Pictures
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+