1.12.2011

Tour of the Studio

I am very proud of my art studio.  I even gave it a name, which is "The Lair" ...not sure if I like it though.  The name, that is.  I love the studio.  Hopefully you will too, because I'm giving you a tour!


This is my desk.  The chair and desk are IKEA purchases.


Here's the closet, which was converted to a desk/storage space sans doors, thanks to an ELFA splurge at the Container Store.  The lamps on the desk and in the closet are a vintage set from my great-aunt.  I love combining bright and colorful with vintage pieces.  Did you notice the white ceramic gun vase on the wall?  I worry I'd kill any flowers I put in it, so a peacock feather looks nice, too.


One of the many toy collections we have in our house.  Heck, one of many just in the studio!  This little still-life is in the green closet area.  Tokidoki and Yo Gabba Gabba DJ Lance are a couple of my favorite things.


A closer shot of one of the vintage lamps.  My sister-in-law gave me this awesome desk set covered in flower print.  It reminded me of Betsey Johnson, so I use it all the time.  This area is also my shipping/packing station for Etsy orders.


Here's a photo of my work table at the moment.  Lots of small containers filled with stuff and supplies waiting to be made into something else.  My rhinestone collection is overflowing and needs some type of storage other than the tiny cardboard box I currently have!  Todd hung this small IKEA curtain rod for me as a ribbon holder, and it functions beautifully!


We actually have six large bulletin boards on the walls of our studio (we tile them edge-to-edge), which enables me to switch out pictures and clippings and random inspirational things as I see fit.  Currently, this board is mostly used for storing finished pieces, so I can easily see what I have available.  My faux flowers get clustered into this vase prior to being disassembled for inclusion in a hair piece.


My latest toy additions, two "My Little Pony" pets.  Baby unicorn?!  Yes, please.  They hang out on the studio stereo.


Ha!  Told you we had a lot of toys.  Here's more from atop our bookshelf unit.  My Tarina Tarantino barbie (another one of my favorites), random faux crow (I love shopping at Halloween time!), Todd's circus punk, and Jesus - of course.  Another inspiration of mine is religious art.  The iconography is fascinating.


Here you can see more of our religious art items.  I especially love Our Lady of Guadalupe.  This shelving row runs along a u-shaped bump out in the room, where our big studio worktable is.  Todd and I share it, but most of the "stuff" is from me (sorry 'bout that, Todd).  The painting on the wall is on velvet.  I think it needs an Elvis to accompany it, don't you?


Other side of the shelving bump-out.  There's the ribbon rod again, if you're trying to place yourself around the room.  This photo has a lot of dogs in it, I just noticed... and oh yeah, those are totally naked pin-up girl salt and pepper shakers!  Thanks Aunt Marty!


In the vein of our religious items, we have candles.  Except these are of a skull theme.  We found a really sweet Hispanic swap meet by us where there's a booth selling tons of these awesome jar candles.  I found the red skeleton candle there, too.


The last theme (in case you hadn't already noticed) is skulls.  I've always liked skulls, so they're a recurring symbol in Hell Razor pieces.  I even have a tattoo of a sugar skull on my arm, and a skull hidden inside one of the roses on my foot.  This particular skull is a vintage Halloween mask that I found at an estate sale several years ago.  He hangs out on one of our bulletin boards.

So, that's our space.  It's interesting to lay it out on a format like this and to see the patterns and themes that pop up.  Some obvious, some not-so obvious... what themes are recurring in your spaces?

Rock On,
Jen @ Hell Razor
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+