1.15.2011

The Sketchbook Project


After a late-night push on Thursday, Todd and I both finished our sketchbooks for The Sketchbook Project.  I mailed them out yesterday!  Since I will not get my book back, I scanned all the pages so I have a record of it.  Here's a few pages for you to see now:




As many of you know, I'm a teacher, so quite a few pages deal with school-related things, such as testing, OVER-testing, and dealing with co-workers.  My sketchbook theme is "Secret Codes," so I often disguise some of the things or people I'm making art about.  That's ok, because the "secret" part is usually just me venting about something that doesn't need to be broadcasted to the world.  The final outcome image is often pretty cool though, so worth sharing.  I like to see what other people interpret the work as, and that's ok!  You're not supposed to "get" what it meant to me.  The art is all about what it means to YOU.


Sometimes the meaning of my artwork isn't a secret at all.  It's just what you see.  In the pages above I just tried to work with a lot of SQUARES.


The pages above are a couple of the last ones I did, and they're probably one of my favorites.  It's a King Diamond reference, and it cracks me up every time I look at it.  Want in on it?  Listen to "Welcome Home" off the album, Them.  I LOVE that song.


If you read my tour of the art studio post, you probably understand why I would draw this one.

Want to see the whole thing?  Want to check out the sketchbooks that others have done?  The Sketchbook Project is going on TOUR!  It'll be in Chicago at the Hyde Park Arts Center July 14-17, 2011.  See the tour site for other state's exhibitions.  I definitely plan on stopping by the Chicago one!  Todd will be there too.  He has his own book (theme: "Revenge") and a book by his students from Brooks Middle School in Oak Park, too!

p.s. If you're going to look for my book specifically, it's under my name: Jennifer Leban (as opposed to Hell Razor Art).  I have a user on Art House Co-Op for more info, too: http://arthousecoop.com/users/61309
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+