11.30.2010

There's always more...

I never seem to be satisfied with something for very long, be it at work, at home, or at play.  I need to push myself further and try new things.  It doesn't always need to be a major change - sometimes a little switch from the norm is all it takes.

I've been thinking about how to make Hell Razor different and to stand out from other artists' work.  I have a few things that are truly unique:

  • My skullys are all hand-crafted by me for use on flowers and bows.
  • Puffy heart necklaces are hand-sewn and stuffed before becoming pendants.
  • Rosaries and other jewelry are often one-of-a-kind due to the recycled/vintage nature of some parts.

But I wonder if those are really obvious; am I pushing myself enough?  So I quest to find new things, to try new ideas... here are a couple of the latest:


I taught myself how to make fabric flowers.  Currently, my flower clips are made from an amalgam of faux flower petals - which are cool - but I wondered how to make them even more unique... this flower is cut from a scrap of crushed velvet material.  I like the fluffiness.  I even debated going sans-button, but decided to go with the whole "more is more" approach.  I'm happy with it.  Even finished off the backside with the usual clip and pin combo.  I'm thinking that some of these could make nifty holiday gifts for my friends.


The second new idea I'm going after is something I've been daydreaming about for a while now, but didn't get to try until last night.  I'm cutting pendants from old vinyl records!  Here, take a closer look at the bow:


Can you see the grooves of the vinyl?  I used Todd's jeweler's saw and filing tools to create this one, then made the rest of the necklace from a combination of recycled vintage beads.  I cut old necklaces apart and use the beads in new combinations that make them look more fresh and modern.


The reflection on this pendant came out great - you can really see the record grooves!  It still needs a necklace to accompany it, but I think this pendant is fantastic!  I have a couple others rough-cut and in need of filing, and several others in various stages of cut/uncut, so I hope to have some finished items to put up for sale soon.

Just wanted to share what's going on lately.  I do have some other fun holiday custom gifts I'm in the process of manufacturing, but I don't want to give away anyone's gift secrets!  Will share those after the holidays are over...

-jenny
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+