8.06.2010

D-E-V-O!



In another post unrelated to Hell Razor Jewelry, I went to the DEVO show last night!  The Devo set was awesome.  I'd never gotten to see them live before, so I was pretty excited before we even left the house.

I thought 290 traffic might be bad (huh what would ever make me think THAT?!) so we left at close to 7:00 pm since doors were at 7:30 and I knew that there was one opening band, the Dirty Projectors.  I think hell froze over because 290 was super-fast and we got there about 7:35.  We also found on-street non-meter parking - score!

Now here's the bad news... I apparently missed the memo that there would be random DJ sets from 7:30 until 10:00... I mean, they weren't bad, I just wasn't expecting it, and we still needed to get through the opening act!  And it was HOT in the Congress Theater.  Super gross hot, and it quickly became apparent that many of the men in the building don't believe in proper hygiene.  It was gross, man B.O. - ew.

The Dirty Projectors finally took the stage.  I knew absolutely zero about them before walking into the theater, but I figured they must be electronic or dance-y, since they were opening for Devo, right?  Um, no.  I don't want to rip on them since I'm sure they had to have fans enough to get them to where they are today - it's not like I have a band that's opening up for Devo, but they definitely weren't my taste or what I was expecting.

Finally, just after 11:30, Devo finally took the stage.  They opened with "Don't Shoot (I'm a Man)" from the new album, which just happens to be my most favorite song from "Something for Everybody."  It was fun to watch the video backdrop along with the sweet dance moves from the band members!  The only other songs from the new album that were performed were "Fresh" and "What We Do," which also happen to be the songs off of the EP prior to the full release.  Of course, there were lots of old school Devo gems, like "Girl U Want," "Whip It," and "Freedom of Choice."

T-shirts were a steal at only $20 each!  My only suggestion is to make GIRL SHIRTS LARGER!  I really don't like the cut of men's styles, but the girl-cut shirts only went up to size M for one, and L for the other.  I don't like tight shirts, so I'm always hunting down the XL offerings in girl style.  I ended up settling for men's medium instead.  The hats were $30!  Eek!  I sucked it up and splurged, since they're $32 online, plus shipping.

Traffic going back home = WORSE than on the way there!  Stupid nighttime construction lane closures.  Also they closed the entrance to 290 from Western so we had to drive through this totally sketchy neighborhood where dude tried to clean Todd's windshield despite him yelling "NO" several times, then grumbled at Todd for not "thanking" him afterwards... ugh.

All said and done, it was a fun night out and I've finally seen Devo perform live!  Thank you Devo for the show!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google+